Thursday, October 15, 2009

Portland Marathon 2010 News

I read today that the Portland Marathon will have two very significant changes for 2010: they will no longer have a 5-mile race, and will be adding a half-marathon to the lineup.

Personally I am quite torn between excitement for another big time half in Portland and mourning the loss of the 5-miler with which I had first cut my teeth in road racing. I hadn't raced the 5-miler in a few years due to racing or pacing in the marathon and had quite been looking forward to doing it again, alas, it was not to be.

Sidenote: the half-marathon is allegedly going to be a combined mass start with the full marathon, which will be a complete clusterf***k! Adding 3,000 runners to an already over-congested start is not ideal. Hopefully this gets revised before raceday, perhaps a different starting time or location.

No comments:

Post a Comment